Title: Training & Development Specialist (Systems)
FTE: Full Time
Location: NYC (In person and remote)
Proposed Salary: $54,000 - $56,000; salary commensurate with education and experience
The Institute for Community Health Promotion/Learning, Engagement, and Development Services (ICHP/LEADS) at SUNY Buffalo State is seeking to hire a Training and Development Specialist who will work on its NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) Bureau of Training and Staff Development (TSD) contract to conduct system testing, deliver training and provide technical assistance as assigned, submit interim and final reports as required, and may conduct needs assessments and/or collaborate on curriculum development.
NOTE: All staff on this project are currently splitting time between working remotely from home and working in the office due to the ongoing COVID pandemic. This is subject to change as needed to help ensure staff safety in the physical office space.
- Testing and related activities, including:
- Conducting quality assurance testing on the Welfare Management System (WMS)
- Assisting in identifying errors in case processing and development of responsive training to ensure corrective action of the identified training need
- Performing general systems testing to gather information for use in the development of training materials or updating of existing training materials and/or curriculum as necessary
- Documentation and reporting activities, including:
- Preparing written training documentation for various systems and associated reports, including system specifications, test plans, and written procedures as necessary
- Developing automated reports from the WMS database used to identify policy- related deficiencies in the operational environment
- Developing case examples and initiating support procedures to maintain the training database
- Creating and running reports using IBM Cognos Analytics (reporting)
- Training and related activities, including:
- Participation in the training development, delivery, feedback, and modification process by assisting in the implementation of systems enhancements, including browser-based systems
- Providing one-on-one training, overview, and classroom instruction to the Department of Social Services district and Human Resource Administration (HRA) staff at various field locations
- Providing and/or developing in-house WMS training pertaining to new software releases
- Training/technical assistance activities, including:
- Assisting State staff with monitoring of policy applications TANF/SNAP, providing supportive training and technical assistance as needed
- Providing individual-level training and/or technical assistance in support of case processing, policy applications, and implementation needs
- Providing technical assistance to the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) staff for implementation changes to WMS, testing and debugging software changes
- Providing technical support to HRA on WMS software issues
- Timely submission of required documentation (e.g., quarterly reports, timesheets, performance appraisals, specified reports as directed, etc.)
Qualifications for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and at least one year of experience in the testing, training, or operation of a human services-related computer system, with a preferred emphasis on systems such as the Welfare Management System (WMS)
● Bachelor’s degree in related field and at least two years of relevant experience providing technology training or related activities working within a large database environment
Required Skill Set:
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Access, MS Excel and MS Outlook
- Proficiency in IBM Cognos Analytics (Reporting)
- Familiarity with social services programs such as TANF and SNAP
- Experience using standard computer applications, including MS Office 365
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat Pro, including FrameMaker
- Experience using Zoom and Microsoft Teams
- Independently carry A/V equipment and materials
- Arrange classroom furniture for training room set-up
- Travel throughout NYC may be required (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island).
*Physical and travel requirements are in effect ONLY when you are working in the physical office space.
This opportunity includes an excellent benefit package and is grant-supported by the SUNY Buffalo State Sponsored Programs Office/Research Foundation. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submission of cover letter and resume required (only one document upload allowed).
The Research Foundation (RF) is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York. Employees of the RF are not state employees, do not participate in any state retirement system and do not receive state fringe benefits. The RF operates under a contract with The State University of New York and receives no directly appropriated state funding.